Thursday 30 August 2012

I don't want to talk about John - Bipasha Basu


Bipasha Basu had no mentor and no camps. Yet she has made it in the big league. This year, she has quite a few films lined up for release. In a chat with Deepak Bhatt, she talks about her career and future plans.

Q: Have you made mistakes and learnt from them?

A: Who doesn't make mistakes? Is anybody perfect? I made mistakes initially, since I do not come from a filmi background. Actually, I am a very headstrong girl. If I want to do something I will do it, no matter what it takes. I have the courage to admit my mistake. I am not embarrassed of anything that I have done in this industry and I have not hurt anyone by what I am doing. I am very clean on that.

Q: Ever repented that you did not have a godfather?

A: You must be kidding. I am very confident and never pessimistic. Half the battle is won if you are positive in life. I knew my work will do the talking. As an outsider, my path has been, perhaps, a little more difficult than those of star kids. But ultimately the audiences have to like you. Today I am proud of the fact that I am a familiar name. 

Q: Why did you start doing so many multi-starrers? 

A: I worked so hard on so many films - like 'Madhoshi', 'Rakht' and 'Chehra', which no one even saw. But I smartened up after all the flops. And decided to do some multi-starrers. 'No Entry' was part of this scheme of mine. 

It was while doing this film I realised that I was enjoying working in a multi-starrers. If you can make your presence felt among ten other actors, you know that you have done a truly good job. 

Q: But you are solo in 'Corporate'?

A: In 'Corporate', I will be seen with nearly 35 actors. So you can't call it a solo film per se. It was great working with Madhur Bhandarkar. At this point, I am doing films only with people I am comfortable with. I am even doing some special appearances because I want to work with certain filmmakers. But please note that I am not in the rat race. 

Q: You almost didn't do 'Phir Hera Pheri'?

A: This is one more question where you will yet again get an honest reply. True, I had apprehensions about doing the film initially, when the director changed (Satish Kaushik was supposed to direct it). But then I weighed that Neeraj Vora was a good choice. 

Q: What's your role in 'Phir Hera Pheri'?

A: I like doing comedy and I am pretty comfortable while doing it. It's not that I have become pucca expert at it, but I have fewer inhibitions about doing a comedy, now. With 'No Entry' and 'Phir Hera Pheri' I have taken a step forward and increased my repertoire of acting.

Q: That didn't answer my question?

A: Oh yeah! Like everyone else in the film, I am also running after money. For the better part of the film, the others are chasing me.

Q: Your tapes with an indecent conversation with a politican made national news?

A: It was the first time I felt vulnerable in this industry. Nothing has affected me- breakups, flops, fatness- but this is the only time things were too much out of hand. 

There is not an iota of truth in it. I felt cheated and violated. I cried and howled as child. I don't want an apology. I am still going ahead with my legal proceedings. I am trying to move it in my own way. 

Q: What are your future plans?

A: I want to start a restaurant but do not have time for it right now. I could hire people to do it, but frankly I want to do it myself. I also want to have a fashion label and a health spa. All these, apart from getting married, of course.

Q: Something about John?

A: Time and again, I have spoken extensively about John. He is not a national monument for me to keep talking about him.

Q: John is passionate about bikes. And you are passionate about?

A: My passion is to work out, eat good and be good to my family, friends and my boyfriend. I am a very basic and simple person. Frankly, I am too simple.

Note: This discussion had placed at Hotel Pride on 28.08.2012 between Deepak Bhatt & Bipasha Basu.

No comments:

Post a Comment